View the HTML Version
What’s on at the Mullum Community Gardens this week? How can you get involved?
August 12th-19th 2013
Dear Friends of Mullum Gardens,
Here is your weekly update to remind you of all the fantastic, exciting, and fun things that are happening this week.
Calling all volunteers, jack-of-all-trades, groovy gardeners and handy-helpers… We need some help sprucing up the gardens for the festival on September 1st. Every day until the festival, but on Thursdays and Saturdays from 10am Terry will helping manage the site and direct priority jobs. Please call or just rock up, we need ALL hands on deck. Contact Terry on 0466 691 721
Byron Shire Chemical Free working bee on Saturday the 10th of August , was a fantastic community event with more than 15 volunteers. We cleared 600 square metres of Bitou Bush, gathered, shared and ate good food. NBN TV came to have a chat about our non-violent direct action on Monday the 5th at Tyagarah Nature Reserve. It is important to understand that we are in alignment with Parks and Wildlife’s goal to remove Bitou Bush. We do not, however, agree with their methodology of chemical spraying aerial or ground for TNR.
Our next working bee will be on Saturday the 24th of August from 9 am to 1 pm at Tyagarah Nature Reserve picnic area. End of Grays lane. We will be there chatting and chopping Bitou Bush. I have requested permission in writing from NPWS to enter TNR as volunteers.
Please wear boots, long sleeve shirt and pants, a hat, gloves and bring water to drink, picnic and beach gear. Children are welcome with parental supervision. More information please call Nadia 0478272300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com) (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) . If you are not on the BSCFL data base, please enter it by going to www.byronshirechemicalfreelandcare.org (http://www.byronshirechemicalfreelandcare.org/) www.byronshirechemicalfreelandcare.org> (http://www.byronshirechemicalfreelandcare.org/) .
If you would like to stop receiving emails from BSCFL please let us know and we will remove you from our list.
Byron Shire Chemical Free Landcare
* Are you interested in Chooks? Do you want some but can’t have them at your place? All’s you need is 30 minutes free per week and a love of our feathery little clucky friends! Contact Cecile TODAY on 0434 156 117.
* Chook POD eggs for sale (50c ea or $5.00 a dozen) collect from the ‘eggs shed’ and pay in the honesty box.
* Chook POD is looking for donations of timber and corrugated iron for the new chook shed call Cecile on 0434 156 117
* Site Management Minutes from July 27th meeting available HERE (http://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2d39506a7a20e224ef6aaa5b/files/site_management_meeting_27_July_13_01.pdf) .
* Calling all allotment holders! In case you haven’t heard, there is a comp on for best allotment to be judged on the day of the festival. We are looking to create luscious little oasis’ in the allotments section for the spring, and NOW is the time to rip out the weeds and mulch before the warmth gives the weeds a run. Don’t forget for your paths too, pulling weeds and sheet mulching is the way to go. Prizes include free allotment next year, seedling and plant hampers, and the über kudos of having the most awesome garden :+) So get down and dirty in your allotments, and enjoy the last of winter. Cheers, James.
* We are looking for a new, reliable, dedicated Volunteer Coordinator ( as Pippy is resigning from her volunteer coordinator position at the end of the month). Please contact Jeannette Martin;email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or Pippy Wardell; email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) , phone 0421926785. (Pippy is happy to train and pass on her experiences.)
* Old boot donations for a planting workshop being held at the Living Earth Festival. There is a collection box at the entrance to the gardens. Contact Dianne on 0415 498 753.
* Biochar available 1kg bag for $10 from the MCG Safe Seeds Shed.
* Reminder that content contributions for these emails is due every Wed 5pm for the following week. Send clear emails with ALL details (ie, dates, contact name and number, time, location, cost, descriptions, articles, suggestions, etc) directly to email@example.com. Thank you 🙂
LIVING EARTH FESTIVAL PREPARATION ‘on-the-ground’
Here’s the finalised program for the kids activities at the festival…looks VERY exciting. ClickHERE (http://) to preview.
There will be a Biochar Fest as part of the Living Earth Festival on Sunday September 1 with a morning speaker programme, kiln workshop programme in the afternoon and a bonfire charring in the evening. If anyone would like to get involved there will be working bees on Saturday August 17 24 & 31 to get prepared.
Contact Don on 0459175729 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com) for further details.
All those interested in being a part of Mullumbimby’s history in the Living Street Parade can contact Jeanette via e: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone –66844876 or 0412322255. There is also information and applications forms on the website (http://mullumbimbycommunitygardens.org/living-earth-festival-2013/living-community-parade/) .
The Living Earth Festival is funded solely by Sponsors for this entry-by-donation event. All proceeds will be used to build a Community Kitchen and forward the Sustainable Education Center at the Mullumbimby Community Garden. There are numerous levels of sponsorship, and terrific opportunities for Sponsors to promote themselves via this event. Please visit the MCG website (http://mullumbimbycommunitygardens.org/) , http://mullumbimbycommunitygardens.org/ and contact Greg Dutton: email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) or 0411125939.
Join our Living Earth Festival Facebook page (https://m.facebook.com/TheLivingEarthFestival)
Check out MCG’s new facebook site, follow us, like us, share us and enjoy! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mullumbimby-Community-Gardens/424223888008?ref=hl
Whats on this Week?
Sat 17th August
Biochar working bee, festival preparation
Contact Don, 0459 175 729
ORGANIC GARDENING FOR BEGINNERS with Sharon Gibson
Learn how to plant and maintain a productive vegetable garden using organic principles. Find out how to convert your lawn to food using no dig methods. Improve your soil, sow seeds and choose the right plants for our climate, as well as learn strategies for dealing with common pests and diseases. All held in an inspiring back yard.
cost $149 concession $119
Sat, 17/08/2013 – 31/08/2013
“Great course – gave me fundamental knowledge and skills to begin my own garden”
“Inspiring” – Andy
“Sharon is such an enthusiastic and inspiring teacher” – Christine
** Byron Region Community College
Phone: (02) 6684 3374
Email: admin@byroncollege (mailto:email@example.com) .org.au (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org)
Food For All Signage
MONDAYS (office closed)
Yoga 9.15-10.15am, $5 donation, deceptively simple, ‘seduces’ your body no forcing, Contact Pippy 0421 926 785
TUESDAYS (S/visor Pippy Wardell 0421 926 785, 9am-4pm)
Volunteers Day with Communal Lunch at 1pm for a $2 donation. Contact Pippy 0421 926 785
Qi Gong 9:15 -10:15am, gold coin donation to assist the biodynamic pod.
We do a Korean form called the Eight Treasures, It is a
sequential system approximately 1000 yrs old. Contact Kaye 6684 4248
WEDNESDAYS (S/visor Eva Matthews 9am-4pm: )
THURSDAYS (S/visor: Terry Gray 9am-4pm: )
SATURDAYS (S/visor: pm-Eva Matthews e: email@example.com)
1st Sat Biochar charring, 1pm Conact Don, 0459 175 729
4th Sat Site Management Meeting 2pm Elders Rotunda
SUNDAYS (office closed)
BACKYARD CHOOKS with Sharon Gibson
Keeping chickens in the backyard is fun and easy. They eat our kitchen scraps, will happily scratch up every weed, seed and grub as well as give us eggs and manure for our gardens. This workshop will cover every-day care, feeding, popular breeds, problem solving and housing. Keeping even a few chooks has many benefits for living a more sustainable lifestyle.
“Clear and concise information, tutor very friendly and easy to talk to, knows her subject” – Joelle
“I love this workshop” – Manuela
“Really interesting, so much material too much to cover in a short time!” – Christine
“Great to have low cost, practical solutions”
Cost: $60 ($48 conc)
Sat 7th September
Byron Region Community College
Phone: (02) 6684 3374
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com)
2012 Mullumbimby Community Garden Inc, All Rights Reserved
Our Mailing Address is: PO BOX 149 Mullumbimby, NSW 2482
** unsubscribe from this list (http://wordpress.us4.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=e2d39506a7a20e224ef6aaa5b&id=bd855510e5&e=[UNIQID]&c=9947d4703d)
** update subscription preferences (http://wordpress.us4.list-manage.com/profile?u=e2d39506a7a20e224ef6aaa5b&id=bd855510e5&e=[UNIQID])
This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this? (http://wordpress.us4.list-manage.com/about?u=e2d39506a7a20e224ef6aaa5b&id=bd855510e5&e=[UNIQID]&c=9947d4703d) unsubscribe from this list (http://wordpress.us4.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=e2d39506a7a20e224ef6aaa5b&id=bd855510e5&e=[UNIQID]&c=9947d4703d) update subscription preferences (http://wordpress.us4.list-manage.com/profile?u=e2d39506a7a20e224ef6aaa5b&id=bd855510e5&e=[UNIQID])
Mullumbimby Community Garden . Stuart Street . Mullumbimby, NSW 2482 . Australia
Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp