View the HTML Version
What’s on at the Mullum Community Gardens this month? How can you get involved?
MCG April Newsletter
Dear Friends of Mullum Gardens,
Here is the monthly newsletter for April. Now that Summer is over, we can look forward to some beautiful crisp autumn mornings, gorgeous clear skies and abundant gardens! With the weather cooling down, it’s the perfect time to get into your plot or home garden and prepare soil, plan and plant out your winter crops.
Here’s a few ideas for your beds…. 1) tomatoes, potatoes & carrots 2) asian greens, lettuce & silverbeet 3) kale, cabbage & broccoli 4) beans, cucumber & leeks.
A few jobs to keep in mind for over the next few months would be to…
1) liquid fertilise leafy vegetables fortnightly
2) plan bigger jobs (like compost building in the cooler weather)
3) protect brassicas from grubs
4) sow hardy green manure crops in unused beds
5) protect seedlings from snails and slugs
6) check website: organicgardener.com.au (http://www.organicgardener.com.au/) for more hints and tips 🙂
Here’s a fun video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSTFfKHJg4Y) to put a smile-on-your-dial and inspire you to ” Obtain yourself a Yield”. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSTFfKHJg4Y)
photo: Zinnia’s in full bloom
‘Every garden needs a guardian to help it evolve and thrive’
I love this .. I just know that the more you see your self a your garden’s guardian you will find that the care and commitment needed to have a thriving garden will come easily. A garden that is loved and nurtured grows with vitality and brings much joy to its guardians. So become your garden guardian and reignite that love for mother earth and her bounty.
Pippy- Volunteer Coordinator
photo:Elderly visitors at the garden
One of the highlights this month was morning tea with some older, wiser visitors with 6 people from Feros Care, Byron Bay, and 8 from Byron Aged Care. They all had a lovely time walking through the front gardens and sitting and chatting with some our volunteers and Jeannette. We served them tea and coffee and home made cake in fine china cups. One woman from Byron Aged Care even got to spend time with a friend’s dogs which really made her day.
* Allotment holders- James Nash, our voluntary allotment manager has been contacting allotment holders when their plots need maintenance. However, there are a few people who are not contactable, please be aware that if your plot is looking neglected, and has been for a while, it may be reallocated to people on the waiting list, as outlined in the allotment agreement. If you know your plot is likely to be one of these, please email james and let him know what your plans are at email@example.com.
* Tuesday communal lunches are now a minimum donation of $2 for the lavish spread. This will help sustain Pippy and help replenish supplies so that we can afford to keep it going 🙂
* We need people interested in the children’s garden to come forth and join the POD, contact Jeanette
* Anyone with good photos from the community garden, events, workshops, their plots etc, please send them directly to firstname.lastname@example.org so they can be incorporated into the new website which is currently been built. ·
* Affordable Hairdressing- trims and easy cuts by appointment and by donation contact Cecile on 0434 156 117
* French lessons coming to the gardens- contact Cecile for more information on 0434 156 117
* Board (http://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2d39506a7a20e224ef6aaa5b/files/Board_minutes11_03_13.pdf) & Onsite (http://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2d39506a7a20e224ef6aaa5b/files/OMT_Minutes_300313.doc) Management Team meeting minutes available here from the two meetings last month.
photo: Fairy in the Garden
Biodynamic POD chat and Q & A session
2-4 pm @ the Elders Rotunda MCG
We will stir and spread the autumn cow horn preparation “500”.
Please come along and join with our small, delightful pod to
learn and enjoy.
Any enquiries: Kaye 6684 4248
Chook POD ‘busy’-but-fun-‘bee’ @ MCG
9am-1pm We will be designing, building, and
fox proofing the extension pen of the’chook taj mahal’
then joining the rest of the volunteers for the communal
lunch at 1pm. Please come along.
Contact Cecile on 0434 156 117
Roundtable Event coming to Byron April 11th (http://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2d39506a7a20e224ef6aaa5b/files/roundtable_community_centre.pdf)
6.30pm @ Byron Community Centre, Attendance is free
Roundtable is a discussion platform for a wide spectrum of socially conscious people: activists, academics, artists, educators, public officials and everyday citizens. It’s where
we all sit around the table as equals and look for how we can build a more just, healthy and sustainable society.
* Check out the flyer for this fantastic, much needed event HERE (http://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2d39506a7a20e224ef6aaa5b/files/roundtable_community_centre.pdf)
* Watch this 4.29min video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ29_0hVE8w) and you will be inspired and motivated to get involved in this exciting, progressive initiative.
* You can visit the Roundtable Live Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/roundtablelive ) page AND the website Roundtable Live page (http://www.mutualresponsibility.org/roundtable/)
* Register HERE (http://www.facebook.com/events/230255873786520/) and invite your friends to register at this link http://www.facebook.com/events/230255873786520/
* More info? Check out this website mutualresponsibility.org (http://www.mutualresponsibility.org/) (http://www.mutualresponsibility.org/roundtable/)
Clay Priestess Workshop (http://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2d39506a7a20e224ef6aaa5b/images/claypriestessworkshopweb.jpg)
10-1pm @ Elders Rotunda MCG
Cost: $50, or $35 Conc
More Info, Click HERE (http://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2d39506a7a20e224ef6aaa5b/images/claypriestessworkshopweb.jpg) for the flier
Biodynamic Northern Rivers
10am Horn Burial @ Shearwater Steiner school.
Contact Kaye on 6684 4248
Onsite Management Team Meeting
2pm @ Elders Rotunda MCG
Contact Sainttina on 0402 170 846
Chook POD ‘busy’-but-fun-‘bee’ @ MCG
9am-1pm We will be designing, building, and fox proofing
the extension pen of the ‘chook taj mahal’ then joining the
rest of the volunteers for the communal lunch at 1pm. Please come along.
Contact Cecile on 0434 156 117
photo: Sharon Gibson
Yoga 9.15-10.15am, $5 donation, deceptively simple, ‘seduces’ your body no forcing, Contact Pippy 0421 926 785
Volunteers Day with Communal Lunch at 1pm for a $2 donation. Contact Pippy 0421 926 785
Qi Gong 9:15 -10:15, gold coin donation to assist the biodynamic pod.
We do a Korean form called the Eight Treasures, It is a
sequential system approximately 1000 yrs old. Contact Kaye 6684 4248
Mums & Bubs play group is back on Tuesday mornings 10am -12pm. This is an informal play
group for mothers and toddlers who would just like to get together in the garden to play and have fun.
Participants can also stay till 1:30 and have lunch with the volunteers (for a donation).
The office is open from 10am-4pm, so Tuesdays are also a great day to come down and sort out allotment,
membership paperwork or payments.
Mums & Bubs Permaculture 8-11am with Sharon Gibson
Mums & Bubs Permaculture II 8-11am with Sharon Gibson
MCG office is open 11am onwards, Pippy is onsite for volunteers and members of the public.
2012 Mullumbimby Community Garden Inc, All Rights Reserved
Our Mailing Address is: PO BOX 149 Mullumbimby, NSW 2482
** unsubscribe from this list (http://wordpress.us4.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=e2d39506a7a20e224ef6aaa5b&id=bd855510e5&e=[UNIQID]&c=811b07193e)
** update subscription preferences (http://wordpress.us4.list-manage.com/profile?u=e2d39506a7a20e224ef6aaa5b&id=bd855510e5&e=[UNIQID])
Sent to <<Email Address>> — why did I get this? (http://wordpress.us4.list-manage.com/about?u=e2d39506a7a20e224ef6aaa5b&id=bd855510e5&e=[UNIQID]&c=811b07193e)
unsubscribe from this list (http://wordpress.us4.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=e2d39506a7a20e224ef6aaa5b&id=bd855510e5&e=[UNIQID]&c=811b07193e) | update subscription preferences (http://wordpress.us4.list-manage.com/profile?u=e2d39506a7a20e224ef6aaa5b&id=bd855510e5&e=[UNIQID])
Mullumbimby Community Garden · Stuart Street · Mullumbimby, NSW 2482 Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp